Saturday, April 08, 2006

Happy Birthday Gary Carter

Gary Carter Autograph on a 1983 Fleer (#278)
Courtesy of Baseball-Almanac.com
Quotations From & About Gary Carter
Quotations From Gary Carter
"He really just wanted to go about his business. I would put Eddie Murray in the same category as Andre Dawson. He would like to kid around with the press and (be surly), but he was a total professional. I see why he is a Hall of Famer. I am just glad I had the pleasure of playing for Eddie (Murray) for one year."

"I got overly excited and screamed (after hearing of his election into the National Baseball Hall of Fame on January 7, 2003). Now we can do a little celebrating."

"It is a grueling position (catching). My knees will tell you that. I've had nine knee surgeries. I've had a couple of broken thumbs, one on each hand. I can look back at it and say it's worth it to be enshrined in Cooperstown. I don't have any pain in my knees right now."

"Johnny Bench befriended me my first year in the big leagues. He took me under his wing during my first All-Star Game and we've been friends ever since. He's one guy I've tried to emulate and I'll always compare myself to Johnny (Bench)."

"My first year in the big leagues I divided time between catching with Barry Foote and playing the outfield. It wasn't until my breakthrough year in 1977, when I had the opportunity to catch every day under Dick Williams, that I hit thirty-one home runs. It was then that I said maybe if I keep putting some of these years together, maybe I can dream of the Hall of Fame."

"Nothing will ever replace the feeling I got when Jesse Orosco struck out Marty Barrett to end the game (Game 7 of the 1986 World Series) and I got the opportunity to run out into his arms. To me, that was the greatest accomplishment. Without a doubt, that was my biggest thrill."

"The dream became a reality today, and I must say this is a very proud day today. I don't think there was ever a point where I didn't think I was going to make it (into the National Baseball Hall of Fame)."

Quotations About Gary Carter
"He was a human backstop back there. Early, before his knees went bad, you couldn't steal on him in Montreal. When he wasn't able to throw because of his knees, that never affected his performance. He was running on and off the field after three outs. This guy played in some pain and it was hustle, hustle, hustle." - Teammate Keith Hernandez

"I'm happy for Gary (Carter). It was a matter of time for him getting in (the National Baseball Hall of Fame). I think I'll probably follow suit. It may take me a little longer, I don't know." - Andre Dawson (January 7, 2003)

"They (the Baseball Writers Association of America) made two fine choices, Eddie Murray and Gary Carter, both well-deserving. I played against both of them and both definitely deserve to be there." - Ryne Sandberg (January 7, 2003)

Courtesy of Baseball-Almanac.com

No comments: