Saturday, June 24, 2006

Mel Stottlemyre's Inside-the-Park Grand Slam

Courtesy of BaseballLibrary.com
by Steve Acciani
I was probably 7 or 8 when my dad took me to see a Yankee game in 1963 or 64. Mel Stottlemyre was up with the bases loaded and the infield and outfield were pulled in when Mel hit a shot over the center fielder's head, which rolled out to the monuments 460 feet away. He slid in under the tag for an inside-the-park grand slam. Some decades later when he was the pitching coach for the Mets visiting Candlestick for a day game aginst the Giants I yelled out to remind him during warmups. "Hey Mel, I saw you hit an inside the park grand slam". He yelled back jokingly "No you didn't". Of course he remembered it as a young pitcher throwing for the Yankees. A great memory, but for some reason I have never seen this on replays. He probably plays it whenever ever guests visit at home.

2 comments:

Golfer42@snet.net said...

I was there also. They were playing the red sox. Bill Mombo started for the sox and pitched the first three innings perfectly. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was 15 years old.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't a shot over the center fielder's head, which rolled out to the monuments 460 feet away. The infield and outfield were pulled in and he hit a shot over the shortstop's head that rolled all the way to the left center field wall. He flopped on home plate exhausted after he rounded the bases.